KJZZ, one of the largest NPR member stations in the country and one of the few with a foreign bureau, is hiring a correspondent in northern Mexico.
This is a unique and exciting reporting position offering a competitive salary, excellent benefits through the state of Arizona, and the opportunity to work with a dynamic team on KJZZ's Fronteras Desk. The bureau is based on the campus of the Universidád Tecnológico de Hermosillo with an immersive audio production booth, fully equipped office and the support of our longtime international partners in Mexico.
If your reporting interests include international politics, a robust tourism industry, cross-border negotiations between Arizona and its largest trading partner, this is an opportunity worth exploring!
80% - Works in the KJZZ Hermosillo bureau, reporting on news issues of interest in the region employing the highest journalistic standards for fairness and balance, accuracy, range of perspective and broad journalistic integrity; writes, mixes and files spot and in-depth general assignment news stories across multiple media platforms, both on deadline and off.
10% - Provides context to the news department to foster understanding of background information necessary to advance news stories in the region.
10% - Participates in fundraising activities and performs other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in journalism, radio/television, broadcasting or directly related field and two years of professional journalism/broadcasting experience such as researching, editing, interviewing and reporting news stories.
1. Fluent in Spanish as position is based in Hermosillo, Sonora (verbal and written).
2. Journalistic experience at a public radio facility or mid-to-major market newspaper including developing sources and establishing effective communication channels.
3. Breaking news experience.
4. Live news field reporting.
5. Investigative reporting experience including research skills.
6. Three or more years of regional or beat reporting experience.
7. Excellent audio editing skills as demonstrated through a portfolio containing five recent examples of enterprise news reporting in any media format submitted by close of business of the application deadline attached with your application.
If you experience issues with the application links, search for job 319765 at jobs.maricopa.edu to apply.