Goodyear opens new city hall, library, park and office building downtown
After decades of talk and planning, Goodyear has officially opened its civic square, the result of a public-private partnership to create a downtown destination.
A new four-story city hall is at the center of Goodyear Civic Square with an attached two story library. Just outside is a two-acre park with a water feature, games and art fixtures.
Goodyear city manager Julie Karins calls it a legacy project that generations will enjoy, “Its a place where family and friends will gather to enjoy community events with a hometown feel with public services and an amazing library.”
The Globe Corporation donated land for Goodyear to build the park and city hall while the company built a three story office building and parking garage. Globe owns about 180-acres of land in and around civic square and expects to add restaurants, retail and housing.
In a press release, George Getz, president and co-CEO of Globe Corporation, said, “My family bought a section of farmland in Goodyear back in the 1970s. It’s hard to believe that what once was a scallion farm has become the heart of the city.”
Deal points provided by Goodyear:
- Globe donated 6.15 acres of land for the Goodyear City Hall and two-acre park
- Globe served as master developer and the city hall and park were build-to-suit with ownership transferred upon completion of the project
- Globe constructed a 100,000-square-foot Class A office space with one floor dedicated to a single tenant; if unleased after one year,15,000-square-feet would be reserved for a single tenant for the second year, with no restriction thereafter
- The city funded all costs for improvements to the donated 6.15 acres
- The city paid a 3% management fee to Globe to manage and deliver the project
- The city contributed $3.3 million in infrastructure with an additional half of the cost of offsite wet/dry utilities up to a max of $500,000
- The city paid $5 million toward the structured parking garage and received 200 dedicated spaces with an option to purchase or lease 200 additional spaces