James Beard Award nominations were announced this week. This Phoenix chef is among them
Semifinalists for the James Beard Awards were announced this week. They’re among the top honors in the food industry.
A number of Arizona chefs and restaurants were nominated, including Lori Hashimoto.
Hashimoto is chef and co-owner of Hana Japanese Eatery in Phoenix. She was nominated in the Best Chef in the Southwest category.
She comes from a food family and has deep roots in the Valley. Her dad was a commercial vegetable farmer in Arizona, her mom is a cooking school teacher and her step-father was an executive chef.
The Show spoke with her to learn her reaction to the nomination.
All 2022 James Beard Awards semifinalists in Arizona
• Chris Bianco, Tratto, Pane Bianco, and Pizzeria Bianco, Phoenix
• Christopher Gross, Christopher’s, Phoenix
• ShinBay, Scottsdale, AZ
• Rochelle Daniel, Atria, Flagstaff, AZ
• Donald Hawk, Valentine, Phoenix
Best New Restaurant
• Bacanora, Phoenix
Outstanding Pastry Chef
• Mark Chacón, Chacónne Patisserie, Phoenix
• Don Guerra, Barrio Bread, Tucson, AZ
• Binkley’s, Phoenix
Outstanding Wine Program
• Kai, Phoenix
Best Chef: Southwest
• Lori Hashimoto, Hana Japanese Eatery, Phoenix
• John Martinez, Tito & Pep, Tucson
• Maria Mazon, BOCA Tacos y Tequila, Tuscon
• Giovanni Scorzo, Andreoli Italian Grocer, Scottsdale