Here's how to recycle your live Christmas tree in Phoenix and Mesa
Phoenix and Mesa officials have set up locations where residents can drop off their live Christmas trees for recycling.
The city of Mesa has set up five, 24-hour drop sites, including Dobson Ranch Park, that will be open through Jan. 16. All nails, stands, tinsel, lights and ornaments must be removed. Flocked trees and wreaths will not be accepted.
Mesa residents can also take their tree to the Salt River Landfill between 6 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday through the end of the month. Curbside pickup is also available for $25 and can be set up by contacting the city of Mesa Environmental Management and Sustainability Department at 480-644-6789 for more information or to schedule a pickup time. Additional information may also be found by visiting mesarecycles.org.
Meanwhile, the city of Phoenix has set up 18 drop-off locations, including Washington Park, through Jan. 8. Only live trees and wreaths will be accepted. Residents can also donate certain container-grown living trees for planting in city of Phoenix parks. Parks will only accept 15 gallon-sized or 24" box-sized trees. They can be delivered to a nearby maintenance facility to be planted in a local park.
The trees need to be one of the four following species:
- Aleppo pine (Pinus halepensis).
- Eldarica pine or Goldwater pine (Pinus eldarica).
- Canary Island pine (Pinus canariensis).
- Chir pine (Pinus roxburghii).
Call city of Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department at 602-495-3762 for drop-off locations or for additional information .
City of Mesa drop-off locations
- Fitch Park, 651 N. Center St. (enter off of Eighth Street),
- East Mesa Service Center, 6935 E. Decatur St.
- Superstition Springs Police/Fire Substation, 2430 S. Ellsworth Road
- Mountain View Park, 845 N. Lindsay Road (enter off of Adobe Street),
- Dobson Ranch Park, 2363 S. Dobson Road.
City of Phoenix drop-off locations
- Deer Valley Park - 19th Avenue and Utopia Road.
- Paradise Valley Park - 40th Street, south of Union Hills Drive.
- Sereno Park - 56th Street and Sweetwater Avenue.
- Cactus Park - 38th Avenue and Cactus Road.
- Mountain View Park - Seventh Avenue, south of Peoria Avenue.
- North Gateway Transfer Station - 30205 N. Black Canyon Highway (use Dixileta exit).
- Marivue Park - 59th Avenue and Osborn Road.
- Washington Park - 23rd Avenue and Maryland Avenue.
- Madison Park - 16th Street and Glenrosa Avenue.
- Los Olivos Park - 28th Street and Devonshire Avenue.
- Desert West Park - 67th Avenue. and Encanto Boulevard.
- El Reposo Park - Seventh Street and Alta Vista Road.
- Mountain Vista Park - 50th Street, just north of Ray Road.
- Desert Foothills Park - Desert Foothills and Chandler Boulevard.
- Cesar Chavez Park - 35th Avenue and Baseline Road.
- 27th Avenue Transfer Station - 3060 S. 27th Avenue.