KJZZ is looking for a reporter to research, write and investigate education stories in the metro Phoenix area and the state.
The reporter deliver education news and other news programming on national assignments, works on news programs and serves as a special assignment reporter, as assigned. A senior field correspondent does a variety of breaking news and enterprising/investigative reporting in multiple formats.
80% - Reporting on education and news issues of interest in the region employing highest journalist standards for fairness and balance, accuracy, range of perspective and broad journalistic integrity. The senior field correspondent will write, mix and file spot and in-depth education and other news stories across multiple media platforms, both on deadline and off. Equipment used includes studio, field, and transmission equipment and standard office equipment, computer equipped with sound and video editing software and file transfer technology.
10% - Provides context to the news department to foster understanding of background information necessary to advance education news stories in the region.
10% - Participates in fundraising activities and performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in journalism, radio/television, broadcasting or directly related field and two years of professional journalism/broadcasting experience such as researching, editing, interviewing and reporting news stories.
An equivalent combination of the conferred degree and directly related full-time work experience as described above sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above, unless otherwise subject to any other requirements set forth in law or regulation, may be considered.
1. Journalistic experience at a public radio facility or major market newspaper.
2. Experience interviewing, developing sources and establishing effective communication channels.
3. Experience researching and fact-checking data and background information.
4. Experience investigating and assessing breaking news and relevant information.
5. Three or more years of regional reporting experience.
6. Two or more years of education beat reporting.
7. Excellent editing skills as demonstrated through a portfolio containing recent examples of education news reporting in any media format submitted by close of business of the application deadline. Please submit as an attachment.
If you experience issues with the application links, search for job 316349 at jobs.maricopa.edu to apply.