Gov. Doug Ducey Urges Mask Use, Says Arizona Is Headed In Wrong Direction

By Katherine Davis-Young
Published: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 5:35pm
Updated: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 4:28pm

Audio icon Download mp3 (753.16 KB)

Ducey news conference
Howard Fischer/Capitol Media Services
Governor Doug Ducey speaks to media on June 25, 2020 about the state's COVID-19 outbreak.

Gov. Doug Ducey told reporters Thursday that Arizona’s coronavirus outbreak is headed in the wrong direction. The state now has more than 60,000 cases of COVID-19. Ducey said he expects those numbers to get even worse over the next few weeks. But he isn’t issuing any new executive orders, instead he said he’s focused on public education and personal responsibility.

 The largest percentage of new cases has been among 20- to 44-year-olds. Ducey said young people need to take the disease seriously.

“It doesn’t matter who you are or how old you are. You can catch this," Ducey said.

Ducey said the Department of Liquor has sent final notices to comply to eight bars and clubs in Scottsdale and Tempe, adding businesses must do their part to encourage social distancing.

Ducey urged all Arizonans to wear face coverings in public and to avoid large gatherings.

“You personally can make a difference for our state and our nation and most importantly for your neighbor, your family, for your parents and grandparents if you will wear a mask," he said. 

Earlier this week, Ducey appeared at a Trump campaign event in Arizona attended by thousands of people, mostly unmasked. When asked about the event, he told reporters assembly is a constitutional right.

Read The Latest News On The Coronavirus Disease

One Source, My Connection!

Like Arizona Science Desk on Facebook