Got Hazardous Waste? Mesa Plans Permanent Drop-Off Facility

Published: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 3:28pm
Updated: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 3:36pm

The number of residents who attend Mesa’s quarterly hazardous waste drop-offs has been on the upswing for the last three years.

“They love the service, they just don’t like the wait,” said Scott Bouchie, Mesa’s director of environmental management and sustainability.

To serve the growing need, Mesa officials are working to establish a permanent hazardous-waste facility that would accept materials such as batteries, electronics, chemicals and appliances. 

It’s expected to cost about $4 million, with much of the money coming from an existing bond funding.

The cost to operate the facility annually is estimated to be between $580,00 and $610,00, compared to the $579,000 Mesa pays to operate four events a year.

“For a little bit more money, we’re going to get dramatically more service for the residents,” Bouchie said.

Last year, 5,315 vehicles showed up at hazardous-waste drop-off events that totaled 16 hours.

The permanent facility would be open 20 hours a week, totaling 1,040 hours a year. 

The design of the new facility is under way, and it’s expected to be open in fall 2018.

For now Mesa residents can save up their waste for the next drop-off event on April 8.

If you like this story, Donate Now!