The KJZZ Travel Club is a group of public radio listeners who are passionate about traveling and learning new things. It’s a special benefit available to KJZZ members who give $10 a month or more to the station (or $120 or more per year).
KJZZ Travel Club Benefits
- Hear about our upcoming trips before we announce them to the public
- Connect with fellow public radio listeners who share your passion for travel and learning new things, both on our trips and on our private Facebook group
- Receive the KJZZ Travel Club Quarterly, a once-a-season email with updates on recent and upcoming trips as well as a roundup of travel-related stories on public radio
- Subscribe to Arizona Highways Magazine at an exclusive 33% off discounted price
KJZZ Member & Contest Winner Reflects on the KJZZ Beatles Come Together Experience to London & Liverpool
I’m Judith Sadre and I was the lucky winner of two spots on KJZZ's Beatles Come Together Experience during the member drive Giveaway in October 2017. My friend, Ellen Dean, and I, packed our bags and headed out on a journey we will never forget.
Under the direction of our charming hosts, Scott Williams and Linda Pastori, our travel group hustled through the streets of London on foot, by tube and by bus. We visited many of the landmarks where the aura of the Beatles still remains. I guess you could say we were in search of the soundtrack of our lives. I thought I could hear their music playing everywhere we went. I imagined I could smell incense burning in the air.
The streets of London vibrated with life; flags, flowers, and colorful decorations abounded. Despite the heavy traffic, everything seemed to move in an orderly, efficient way. That is not to say there were no security concerns. In fact, the BBC suspended tours of their headquarters and the iconic Westminster Abbey was closed to the public. Armed police stood guard behind low black barricades in front of the buildings of the Abbey.
The train trip to Liverpool was like a sacred pilgrimage. After a tour of the Beatles Museum, we downed exotic Indian food at George Harrison’s favorite restaurant. Who would think a bunch of cowpokes from Arizona would lap up that spicy cuisine? If George Harrison could do it, so could we.
We were a diverse group of travelers who bonded over a shared experience of our love of the Beatles and their music. The lyrics of Penny Lane say it all: "Penny Lane is in my ears and in my eyes / There beneath the blue suburban skies."
Five days of sun and fun in Great Britain. It didn't rain the whole time. I want to express my deepest gratitude to Scott and Linda and KJZZ for doing what you do so well!
Listen to Stina Sieg's four-part series, Below the Rim, on life inside the Grand Canyon. Maybe this year you'll join the ranks of the one percent of all visitors to Grand Canyon National park who spend the night at the bottom of the canyon!
- Chapter 1: Phantom Ranchers
- Chapter 2: The Mules That Fuel The Grand Canyon
- Chapter 3: The People You Meet At The Bottom
- Chapter 4: Rim To Rim, And Back Again
Travel with KJZZ
You listen to stories from KJZZ because they’re produced in a way that engages and informs you. But did you know that KJZZ also programs great travel experiences for listeners?
We’ve been crafting experiential learning trips for small groups of KJZZ listeners since 2013, putting them together with the same attention to detail that we give to the stories we produce for the air.
What makes traveling with KJZZ different from commercial tours?
- Travel with KJZZ hosts
- Make new friends in small groups of 10 to 25 travelers who share your interests
- Feel like a local with on-the-ground contacts who help tell the story of every destination
- Participate in unique activities that engage all five senses
- Enjoy a trip planned with curious public radio listeners like you in mind