Public Cooperating With Coconino Forest Restrictions

By Matthew Kling
Published: Monday, July 2, 2018 - 5:21pm
Audio icon Download mp3 (1.08 MB)

With the drought causing extreme risks for wildfires, closures in parts of the Coconino National Forest went into effect on May 23.

Since then, the public has been cooperating well with the restrictions, according to Coconino forest spokesman George Jozens. He said violations have decreased significantly, as the public is more aware of the restrictions.

"We had one illegal fire violation last weekend," Jozens said. He added that in a typical year, the forest sees multiple violations on a daily basis.

Jozens reminds those traveling to the forest, especially with the Independence Day holiday this week, to continue to abide by those restrictions.

"Those fire restrictions means no campfires, no smoking," Jozens said, "anything that could cause a spark that would cause a wildfire."

Violators could face fines of up to $5,000 or even jail time for breaking restrictions, which is a class three misdemeanor.

If you like this story, Donate Now!